Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sweet Christmas! An exploding head! The IBNH Halloween Mix, Vol. 3

See, I wasn't lying when I told you that I had another insallment of the Halloween Mix coming very soon. I hope you like the above little animation. For those of you who don't recognize it, it's from a little film called Scanners, directed by the one and only David Cronenberg. Anyway, I'm going to have to keep this short because, well, let's just say that my oral surgeon didn't give me the greatest drugs on the planet to soothe my perpetual pain.

1. Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You - I chose this song partially because it ties into the whole exploding head thing (you'll have to rent the movie if you want to make the connection), but also because the late great Nina Simone possesses one of the most soulful, haunting voices ever recorded.
2. Portishead - Sour Times - moving right along I've chosen this song because, well it's boasting some of the most self-loathing/self-pitying lyrics of recent memory and it's got this real creepy crawly vibe to it, it's almost as if Portishead sampled it straight from something like Silent Hill or something (everyone who has played that game will know what I'm talking about).
3. Lou Reed - This Magic Moment - okay, so you may be thinking to yourself, why in the world is this song on here? And I would counter by saying that Lou Reed's bizarrely hypnotic voice tends to strip away any of the innocence involved with the original version of the song. My sick mind can totally picture this song being played during a rape scene or something.
4. The Velvet Underground - The Black Angels Death Song - well, let's just say that if I were a homicidal circus clown, this would be my theme song. The off-kilter string arrangement, the echoing vocals, the ever present ominous strumming, oh yeah, and there's a bottle of whipped cream being discharged periodically throughout the song. Tell me that's not creepy.
5. Gary Jules - Mad World - this staggering cover of a Tears for Fears classic is included in this collection for two reasons. One happens to be because Leah told me to. The other is because it's a truly ethereal song, and Jules is able to carry it with his haunting and melodic voice. Oh, and it was in Donnie Darko, like my favorite movie of all time.

Well folks, thats all for the day. I hope you enjoyed this installment of the Halloween Mix. As always, feel free to leave your comments. Until next time, I suppose.

No comments: